Thursday, June 17, 2010

Grad School

I'm looking for some advice for students who plan to go on to grad school. So please comment with any advice about taking the GRE, your search, applications, and when you should start the process. What do you wish you knew when you started? And what were some suprises you ran into? Who helped you most in your search?


Also, if you would care to, share what university you decided to attend and why. What was your program, both undergrad and graduate?


Finally, what was your main motivation for continuing your education?

2 comments:

  1. By the way, I just found some good articles on Fastweb about grad school:

    http://www.fastweb.com/college-search/articles/653-are-you-ready-for-graduate-school

    http://www.fastweb.com/college-search/articles/737-know-your-grad-school-exams

    Check them out, they have some good advice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have lots of thoughts and quite a bit of experience with this (I'm starting my doctorate in a few weeks), but as far as one of the beginning stages, don't let anyone convince you it's impossible to study for the GRE. I've heard from so many unmotivated people, "There's just no way to study for it. Go in there and do your best." Lies! When I was preparing for the GRE the first time, I crack a study guide a couple of times, looked at a website or two and decided to wing it. The second time, I spent several hours a week all summer writing sentences with vocabulary words, reviewing math formulas and practice equations and fine-tuning my writing. I'd recommend books by Kaplan and the site number2.com. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete