Wednesday, September 29, 2010

"Sex Education"

"Sex Education" by Jenny Davis is a book about two students taking high school biology. Their teacher has decided that the first half of the school year learning about sexual health, but it will not be limited to science and diagrams. She gives them assignments such as telling themselves they are beautiful and making another person's life better.

This book was published in 1988 and was banned or challenged due to presentation of sex education. While I understand what the author was trying to do, I did not enjoy this book. Nor do I think it is a good source of information for teenagers who are wanting to learn how to deal with sex. This book did not address the emotions of having sex or protection; in fact, little of this book had anything to do with sex at all. The only thing I learned from it is to not help people. On top of that, the ending did not seem at all realistic, and rather disturbing.

This is one of those books that is only ever read because it is banned, in my opinion at least. I would like to know what every one else thinks.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment